How an Audit Associate Dresses? (My Formal Attire Rules)

August 12, 2017

corporate attire for men

During Mondays-Thursdays, I wear formal attires — and when I say formal, they are long sleeves, gray or black slacks, leather shoes. When the weather is not that hot, I'll wear a coat or a formal jacket.

On the other hand, during Fridays, I dress down a bit.

I am no expert when it comes to formal attires or how should an associate dress, but in any case, I'll just share to you my guidelines in choosing what dress to wear:

  • Don't wear bright colors, even though they are long sleeves. I choose dark colors like gray, black, dark violet, and red. I have other colored long sleeves in the color of green, violet and blue but their shades are all dull. We don't want to wear striking colors like neon orange, neon pink, or any loud bright colors. Rule of thumb, the darker or the duller the color, the more formal it is.
  • Neutral is formal. When it comes to slacks. I wear neutral colors like black, gray and sometimes brown. It is up to you if you want regular slacks or thigh-hugging / fitted pants as long as it is formal.
  • Have a formal-looking belt. I don't care how much it is. I can wear a belt as cheap as P100 or as expensive as P2,000 as long as it is decent, I'm cool with it. The look of your belt is very crucial since you'll be tucking in your long-sleeves so always make sure they look decent and neat. I use Beverly Hills belt bought in SM Department store. It looks awesome and it's not expensive. If I am not mistaken, it's only P680.
beverly hills belt for men
An affordable belt that I bought in SM Department store. This belt has a switching feature. You can switch the colors from black to brown, depending on your preferences.

  • Use necktie. I know it's hot in the Philippines and everyone doesn't want to close the most upper button of his sleeves. But for me, necktie is power! I don't know why but I feel more confident with it. I feel I'm an expert whom our clients can rely on if I have a necktie. It adds a more executive look when I use it.
formal attire for men
Necktie tip: If you're still a newbie and don't know what tie to wear, a rule of thumb is when your upper garment is printed, use plain tie. If your upper garment is plain, use printed or ties with design.

  • Use coat or a formal-looking jacket. This is a tropical country, we're aware of that. But if necktie can give you confidence, coat can give you the image and the brand. It will give you the brand of being attached and being passionate about the profession, despite the temperature. Lol.
I use cardigan sometimes for variety.
corporate attire for men
Wearing formal attires has been my brand in the office. Doesn't have to be expensive. I bought this coat, together with a pair of pants of the same cloth and color, for just P1,200 in China!

corporate attire for men
Let's try it in plain white long sleeves and red tie.


Other guidelines in dressing formally:

  • Use long black socks. Make sure that when you sit, no part of your skin can be seen.
  • Never use a bow tie. You're not in a prom or in a wedding reception.
  • Brush up/Comb/Style your hair or just style it with any hair product. Use pomade, wax, gel or suave. Make your hair appropriate to what you wear. 
Gatsby Styling Pomade that I bought in SM Aura Watsons. Pomades usually cost P500 above but this one is a great catch. For only P189, you can get your good-smelling and quality pomade. Though you have to be cautious in applying. Too much pomade may make your hair look like "dinalaan ng buwaya."
  • If you're dressing down, make sure it still looks decent. You carry your firm's name wherever you go so make sure you look presentable and respectable everyday, even if it means Friday.
josquine diaz

Some compromise rules when it comes to wearing corporate attires in the Philippines because of the sunny weather, but always remember as an auditor, we'll face managers, stakeholders, accountants and those charged in the governance. At the end of the day, you'll be the judge as to what attire should be worn when dealing with these people.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Don’t forget that a good pair of platforms can go a long way. Not only do they add even more inches, but they are also a lot easier and more comfortable to walk in than a thin sole. Formal Dresses

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook